If two values are given, the first specifies overflow behavior for the left end of the line, and the second specifies it for the right end of the line.

Another limitation is that the ellipsis doesn’t attach itself to the final word since it’s absolutely placed. Let’s cover up the ellipsis when the text is too short. Opinions differ as to how to render ellipses in printed material. The Overflow Blog The text-overflowproperty may be specified using one or two values. Tutorials, references, and examples are constantly reviewed to avoid errors, but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content.

Each value is specified as one of: 1. one of the keyword values: clip, ellipsis, fade 2. the function fade(), which is passed a or a to control t… Suppose I have a row with fixed height and I inserted some text to its column. If one value is given, it specifies overflow behavior for the end of the line (the right end for left-to-right text, the left end for right-to-left text). your coworkers to find and share information. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our I guess in the end it all depends on context. Free 30 Day Trial If two values are given, the first specifies overflow behavior for the left end of the line, and the second specifies it for the right end of the line.

overflow: hidden; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; However with the content part (simple div), the content extends beyond the container (not shown in the picture). Both of the following properties are required for text-overflow:The numbers in the table specify the first browser version that fully supports the property.Numbers followed by -o- specify the first version that worked with a prefix.Text-overflow with a hover effect (show entire text on hover):If you want to report an error, or if you want to make a suggestion, do not hesitate to send us an e-mail:

Both of the following properties are required for text-overflow: white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Examples might be simplified to improve reading and basic understanding.

I do see the problem that if your text actually does fit, you’re left with a useless ellipsis.

site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under This is the second part of the trick.

Each value is specified as one of: 1. one of the keyword values: clip, ellipsis, fade 2. the function fade(), which is passed a or a to control t… By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. W3Schools is optimized for learning, testing, and training.

If we position the absolute at the bottom/end of the text … Stack Overflow works best with JavaScript enabled The ellipsis...,..., or (in Unicode) …, also known informally as dot-dot-dot, is a series of (usually three) dots that indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning. We’re not going to fix that as well.

It can be clipped, display an ellipsis (...), or display a custom string.

If you know your text will be cut off, you might as well use PHP to shorten it and add a […] link.

clip: It crops the paragraph and did not append anything.

CSS3 gave us the wonderful property, text-overflow, which can do things like create ellipsis and gracefully cut off words.However, text-overflow has a serious limitation: it only works on a single line of text..block-with-text { overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap; text-overflow: ellipsis; // don’t forget that .block-with-text can’t be an inline element }

If one value is given, it specifies overflow behavior for the end of the line (the right end for left-to-right text, the left end for right-to-left text). So I have a cell with a fixed height with title and content(shown below).Here is the markup that I used for both title and content:What I am trying to achieve is the last part (red circle) in the image.Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! ellipsis : It adds “…” to the end of the line.

The text-overflow property specifies how overflowed content that is not displayed should be signaled to the user. Stack Overflow for Teams is a private, secure spot for you and Also because content usually has a paragraph, when i apply the same css markup as above, it goes simply beyond the … Featured on Meta

The word, (plural ellipses) originates from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis meaning 'leave out'.

The great thing about this approach is that it works for multi-line blocks as well, and of course is also supported by pre-7 Firefox. The text-overflowproperty may be specified using one or two values. CSS properties white-space:nowrap, overflow:hidden and width:100% are required to use with text-overflow to see ellipsis to the end of the line.width can be any value. Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkersProgramming & related technical career opportunitiesIf you go jQuery, there is a nifty plugin called dotdotdot -